Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving...

I've been away from my blog for about a week... don't worry, I'll be sure to catch you up this week. We've been enjoying a lot of family time, Thanksgiving, and I've been working a lot (BLACK FRIDAY) and entertaining guests. It's been a really great week!

I slacked on my blogging (and subsequently my thankful posts) for the past couple of weeks.... spent more time actually "doing" the things I'm thankful for than writing them down. Believe me there was lots of time spent with the hubs, friends, baking, crafting and just enjoying life. I am so thankful for everything we have and are able to do. We have such a blessed life and I am so thankful each and every day.

Today I'm sharing my favorite gingerbread cookie recipe...



I love, love, love this recipe and have made these, "boy cookies" as Jackson calls them, several times this season already.
  • 3-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1-3/4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1-3/4 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon shortening, melted and cooled slightly
  • 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon molasses
  • 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup and 1 teaspoon water
  • 1/2 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 
Sift together the flour, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon; set aside. 
In a medium bowl, mix together the shortening, molasses, brown sugar, water, egg, and vanilla until smooth. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients, until they are completely absorbed. Divide dough into 3 pieces, pat down to 1 1/2 inch thickness, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. (I usually leave this overnight)
Preheat oven to 350. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 inch apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. When the cookies are done, they will look dry, but still be soft to the touch. 

Then I use this frosting to decorate...
  • 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons milk
  • 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
I got these mini cookie cutters from Target in a little multi pack... super cute! Love how the lightbulbs look!




Hope yall enjoy... 

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I featured you today over at Today's Top 20! You did an awesome job!!!

Amanda
todaystoptwenty.blogspot.com

Angie - Big Bears Wife said...

oo yummy. I've never made gingerbread before... Must give it a try! They look great!

Morgan said...

Those are simply adorable! I love making Christmas cookies. I'm going home today to pull our my tin of cookie cutters. =]

Sarah Barry said...

I've been looking for a good ginger bread cookie recipe. This one looks great!

Crystal said...

Love the pics! Very creative picture taking

Post a Comment